Monday, October 7, 2013

Top Ten Best Series Enders

Hosted by:  The Broke and Bookish


1.  The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials) - Philip Pullman


There is NO WAY this is not my favourite ending novel to a trilogy ever.  But oh the feels...



2.  Mockingjay (The Hunger Games) - Suzanne Collins


 I feel like this is a bit of a controversial choice because most people I know hated the ending.  I thought the ending of the book was perfect.  I won't say why because I know I have some readers who haven't finished the trilogy (hurry up damn it!), but I'm even talking that last chapter.  That's exactly who Katniss is as a character, and...I can't say why, but for reasons, I think the ending is so realistic and it's basically just perfect in my eyes.



3. Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness) - Tamora Pierce


This book has everything in it, and as I am an unabashed Tamora Pierce fangirl and this was my first quartet of hers I read, I really shouldn't have to explain why this is on the list.



4.  The End  (A Series of Unfortunate Events) - Lemony Snicket


 While I may have become distanced from the book for most of the middle of the series (it becomes quite repetitive)...the last book of this series is surprisingly mature for the series.  Again, I don't want to say anything with spoilers, but this book felt much more serious than the others.  I know many people were really upset by the ending, but *spoilers* I like that not every question is answered and the fate of the Baudelaire's is up to the reader to interpret.*spoilers*





I haven't mentioned this on the blog yet I don't think, but this series was another set that I grew up reading.  I don't even remember the first time I read the books, but every time I go to them it always feels fresh.  And the tone of the books in the first couple through the end are so different!  The series definitely ended up more serious than I expected from the first book.  It's a bit like Harry Potter in that sense - comparing the first book to the last as far as tone goes.





This trilogy is entirely overlooked which is a shame because I LOVE IT SO MUCH.  Wandering Meander is the first person I've met ever  in my entire life who has ever read this trilogy.  It's just...the world building, the lore, the NOT instalove, the love despite not having a heart racingly attractive love interest..it's just so amazing!  And the ending to the trilogy feels like the undertones are a bit darker.  In any case, if you take anything from this list other than the fact that judging by most of the endings to these series I'm sadistic, read this trilogy because I would love for it to get some love!


I'm honestly having a really hard time coming up with any others.  It's not because I don't think there are any more good ones, it's just that I don't have a great memory and some of these books I read years ago.  For example, I vaguely remember Wyvernhail being on of my favourite Atwater reads. I really wanted to have Isabel Allende's City of the Beast trilogy because I've never mentioned it on this blog but I remember it being AMAZING...but I have a vague memory that the first book was my favourite and I was undecided on the last one.  But again, I haven't read either set of books in years.  And there are plenty of other books I could name, but that's basically the whole point of this list that I am leaving incomplete, so there you are haha.

What books have I forgotten are fantastic trilogy enders?  Leave me a link below (and as always I mean that literally), and don't forget to check out my giveaway!

16 comments:

  1. I completely agree with Mockingjay! It left me breathless and dying because I thought it was incredible. It still gives me chills. Its amazing!

    Morgan @Remembered Deservedly
    http://deservedly.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/top-10-bestworst-series-enders/

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the Coils of the Snake!!!
    I almost used that, but then I thought "I've been going back to that particular well a lot lately..."
    This one was a harder topic for me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO agree with you on Mockingjay. I was kind of ambivalent throughout the book UNTIL the epilogue. The epilogue broke my heart...in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man. I had a hard time remembering the books on my list and they're not even from that far back in my reading history. Darn my swiss cheese brain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you agree with me! It's been unsurprisingly on pretty much everyone's worst series ender haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know right? I was like this is TOTALLY going to be an easy list. Wrong. I don't know if I've never made it to ten on these lists before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's it - that's EXACTLY how I felt. I think if it wasn't for the epilogue I probably wouldn't love the last book as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...confession time? I didn't add books I've read in the past year either since I couldn't remember them hahaha. I was kind of surprised at how little I remember actually!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought Mockingjay was just okay. I much preferred the other two in the series. It's lovely to see my blog on the sidebar of your blog. I love coming here to read yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you loved Mockingjay; a lot where underwhelmed by it so I'm glad who just like me thought otherwise. Awesome list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah I knew Mockingjay was going to be an unpopular choice, but I'm glad there's other people out there who agree with me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVED The Song of the Lioness series! I want to get my hand on some of Tamora Pierce's other series'

    ReplyDelete
  13. You definitely should (in fact I literally just finished reading the Trickster's Choice series as I write this. Her series literally shaped my childhood and teenage years!) You don't really need to read them in order, but it adds a little something to the series if you do as there's always cameos from other series! And the next one to read would be the Wildmage series and that's probably her most popular of all the series (or so I gather from other TTT lists I've read!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both His Dark Materials and the Alanna series are ones I looked at and thought about including, but I read both series pretty much from start to finish, so I can't really demarcate particular books. Haha. But, yay, happy to see them here, because it means my rereads will be just as joyous as the first go-round!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay blogging friends haha! I love that you post so often..you maaaay or may not help me procrastinate hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's how I felt about most series I was thinking of putting on here! I was like...wait...which book was that again? I've just reread both series SO many times that I figured I probably loved the last book a lot (and His Dark Materials really did blow my mind so I clearly remember that one...although it sort morphs in with The Subtle Knife for me)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You've totally made my day :D

I love talking to you guys, so I always respond to comments. Be sure to check back!