Monday, October 21, 2013

Monday Musings: Age of Goodreads members

Wow.  So today I found out the ages of a lot of the people I've talked to on Goodreads.   

And I feel REALLY FREAKING WEIRD.  Or more accurately, I'm horrifed.



I'm twice some of these girls' ages!  I DON'T EVER FEEL OLD.  EVER.  I look like I'm 16.  I have been turned away from bars because they thought my ID was a fake.  I'm still in school - I can't be old! (Granted in comparison to the girls on goodreads, I'm in old people school but still.)

I've had a lot of totally normal conversations with these people.  I guess I just assumed they were all near my age?  And now I feel...I dunno...pervy or something.  It's not like I had NSFW conversations or anything with them it's just...I taught kids that age a couple years ago.  When I was student teaching, these kids were TOO YOUNG FOR ME TO HAVE TAUGHT.  And I'll give you a hint - I wasn't teaching high school.


Is it because my primary interests are in YA reading?  I mean I'm sure that has to be a big part of it.  But when I've joined other groups  - geared towards manga and music, I know at least the music group was DEFINITELY a bunch of younger kids.  (And then I left it.  Because you know, weird feelings.)

I seriously do not know how to feel about this.  Is it weird that I feel so weird about the age of members in my Goodreads groups?  Are any of you in Goodreads groups?  Have you run into this problem at all?  I started joining Goodreads groups because I was looking for people I could talk to about interests my other friends don't really have...actually, I guess the same reason I started blogging really.  I guess it never occurred to me this interaction might take place with eleven year-olds.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.  Please, someone out there in the big, wide world..make me feel better about this.


6 comments:

  1. Haha, feel the same way. I'm teaching high school and they thought I'm just a student teacher. I don't look like my age, I was even once mistaken as my older sister's daughter LOL. GR readers particularly YA readers are a whole lot younger than I am but being with them makes me feel young, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I fall in the middle somewhere. I've had that moment of horror that you are having, when I found out a girl I was discussing Eragon with was 13. But, on the opposite end, I know some of my friends are in their 40s and 50s. I think it does have to do with a love of YA- the older friends tend to be fans of the more general fiction that I read.


    And for the record, I'm 21 haha.


    So be happy and look at a gif of pugs dressed as Avengers!
    http://media.heavy.com/media/2013/05/avengers.gif

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! I feel much better, pugs in Avengers costumes fix everything! I'm going have to send this to my boyfriend (he's CRAZY about pugs!)


    I guess I just didn't think about how young I was when I started reading YA books and how computers were still sort of a new thing so I wouldn't have had a site like Goodreads to look at. Not everyone owned one when I was young....god I feel old saying that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know right? It's rare for me to have younger friends, and I think that most of the people I talk to on various blogs are older than me actually? Not by much, but there you are. I've determined I'm just not going to think about it all. I am quite good at ignoring situations, so who's to turn down using a talent?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Is there at least a big age gap between you and your sister? ...although no matter the gap I can't imagine she felt too great about that! Well, as long as I'm not alone in this, I feel at least a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahahaha, I know your pain. In real life, the bulk of my friends were always older than me, but I feel like an old lady in the blogosphere sometimes. I only know a couple of YA book bloggers older than me, and a couple of my book blogger friends are still in their teens. I hardly know what to make of this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You've totally made my day :D

I love talking to you guys, so I always respond to comments. Be sure to check back!