Monday, June 26, 2017

Top Ten Book Read in 2017


I feel like this year's list of awesome books is rather more...eclectic than usual.  Which reflects my reading habits pretty accurately I suppose, but I for once have more than just YA fantasy on here! (Let's be real, it's still mostly YA fantasy)



Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Northanger Abbey

This book is hands down the most fun book Jane Austen ever wrote.  All of her books feature her wit, but this book is freaking hilarious!  It's silly and fun, and of all the Austen heroines, Catherine Morland is definitely the one I'm most similar too.  You can tell this was the first novel Austen wrote - it's got a lighter feel and it's a little less polished than her other novels, but this definitely a new favourite.  And now that I've read this one, I've officially read all the Austen novels!




Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy

I've mentioned my...rocky relationship with Cassandra Clare's writing before, but I think after reading the Bane Chronicles (which now that I think of it I think I still have a few to finish - hence it not being on this list) and the last book in The Mortal Instruments series, Cassandra Clare has solidified herself as an author I will always read. I might not always love the writing/where the story goes, but over the past few books she has consistently surprised me. Usually with a big dose of gut wrench.  (I blame her friendship with Sarah Rees Brennan). She's also probably the biggest name in paranormal fantasy who consistently has representation of both multiple races (a main character too if you count The Bane Chronicles!) and different sexualities. (Feel free to correct me and then educate me with all your recommendations where this is also the case).  She also has world building that for me rivals Harry Potter in that we've got a world within a world full of different cultures and I LOVE that.  

But mostly Magnus Bane.



Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Station Eleven

This is by far my favourite book I've read this year, and I don't see that changing at all this year. (Especially given the fact I'm averaging two books a month instead of a book a day at the moment).  The writing is gorgeous, and the characters are interesting and well-rounded.  The premise while not novel exactly stands out from others in the genre because of how it is executed - the time jumps, slowly drawing together how the characters are all interlinked, the fact that while it is post apocalyptic there isn't one set society or culture that has emerged.  It's just some really fantastic storytelling, and I know this is one I will be buying and rereading.



Goldenhand by Garth Nix

Goldenhand (Abhorsen, #5) 

I have been waiting for this book for YEARS. Literally.  And it is everything I ever wanted and I am so happy!!! What else is there to say?

 

Notorious Pleasures by Elizabeth Hoyt

Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)

Ok I know Elizabeth Hoyt has been around for ages, but I'd never read anything of hers before and she is definitely going to be a new go-to romance author for me.  It's got the happy ending and balls and everything I like in my romance novels, but the characters are really well fleshed out and there's a big story line outside of the romance which is something I really like (and that's a theme with all of the romance novelists I enjoy).  What really sets this one apart is that the big story line in some parts are much bigger than the romance line which is unusual.  I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series!



Saga Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

Saga, Vol. 1 (Saga, #1)

The art is top notch, the characters are an interracial couple (if not in the sense like my own relationship aka they are rather more...interspecial, but the sentiment still stands) with an interesting premise and world laid out.  Count me in!



The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee

The Silver Metal Lover (Silver Metal Lover, #1)

I've been in a bit of a Tanith Lee mood these days, and this is one of her big hits (that I can't believe I've never read before).  It's got all my favourite things about her writing (many of which I wouldn't like in any other author - she's my exeption): completely unlikeable characters with complicated relationships that force them to evolve, sci-fi but almost magic realism like aspects, just....weirdness.  That's what I like most about Tanith - the writing gets weird, grotesque at times.  If you've never heard of Tanith Lee, she's both one of the most influential writers of the sci-fi/horror genre, and one of the most overlooked. It is a damn shame most of her works are out of print - this would be a good choice to ease her into her writing (it isn't TOO weird)

 

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)

Maggie Stiefvater has hands down the most beautiful writing of any YA author I've read. (And possibly any author - she's in my top 3 for most beautiful prose).  Most of you have heard all the heaps of praise on her, so I won't go on, but if you've been holding back on reading The Raven Boys...what on earth are you waiting for?  Magic realism/paranormal fantasy? Check. Beautiful writing? Check. Characters that will stay with you for days afterwards? Check. GO READ NOW.



The Rose & the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh

The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn, #2)

While I liked The Wrath and the Dawn, it didn't do much for me so I hadn't been planning on finishing the series.  Then for whatever reason I decided to read this and I am SO glad I did.  Beyond the fact that it's an Indian/Arab inspired fantasy (can we PLEASE have more of this?) I felt like the characters really took off in this one. 



Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
 
Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2) 

This book was so close to being flawless for me. I definitely liked this series more than her Shadow & Bone one, and I love that she's expanding her world by writing more books set in different parts of the world she's built so I am absolutely down for more of her books! 


And that's my reading year so far!  How has yours been? Leave me a link in the comments and I'll stop by!

2 comments:

  1. Its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about this wonderful thing that happened to me last week on how i got my peripheral artery disease (PAD) cured, i have been reading so-many post of some people who were cured of peripheral artery disease (PAD), but i never believed them, I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try dr emu when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out, its a great success that he healed just as he promised, he told me that in three days time that i should go and check on my peripheral artery disease (PAD) status, I was floored that when i went to the hospital to check of my status that i was peripheral artery disease (PAD) negative, i never thought possible that dr emu can do miracles, i never really believed in magic but I played along with a little hope and faith and after everything but dr emu changed my life and made me a true believer you can contact him emutemple@gmail.com emutemple@yahoo.com or whatsapp Number: +2347012841542 he said that he is also specialize on the following diseases: HERPES, HIV, ALS, HPV, DIABETES, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, SICKLE CELL, VIRGINAL DRYNESS, And Bring Back Yours Ex back.
    website: https://emutemple.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You've totally made my day :D

I love talking to you guys, so I always respond to comments. Be sure to check back!