Monday, April 21, 2014

Top Ten Sneaky McLiar Pants


So I've gotten pretty bored with my top ten posts lately, as my favourites are usually my favourites for a lot of reasons and therefore there's like 20 books in my rotation that inevitably return every other week or so for my TTT lists.  So I've decided to go a new route (although some of my all time favourites STILL show up) and not have any repeats for like...a month? And try to have at least 1/4 of the books be outside of YA.  That seems reasonable right?  In any case, this list is devoted to unreliable narrators!


 1. Vida Winters (The Thirteenth Tale)

The Thirteenth Tale

 Guys. The twists in this book...you'll never see them coming. Vida Winters is the queen of unreliable narrators.  You won't know what's hit you. 




The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)

Holy shit guys.  Want to see a post of me freaking out about a book?  The Mara Dyer series is intense.  I mean Mara is so unreliable that she was starting to make me feel like I was going crazy!




 

So I can't really say anything about Esme without fear of spoilers, but since I want you to read this...interested in feminism? In the difference in how we were treated now compared to the early 20th century? Like suspense and intrigue? Check out this book.



4. Narrator (Fight Club)

Fight Club

Ok I imagine most of you have read or seen this and know why it makes the list.  But for the few of you out there who haven't...I won't say anything.  Man this list makes it awfully hard to say anything!



5. Piscine Molitor "Pi" Patel (Life of Pi)

 Life of Pi

Spoilers?  I loved the ambiguity of the ending to this (that's not spoilers is it? I figured I'd put a warning anyway just in case?)



6. Gen (The Thief)

The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)

Guys.  Please tell me you have all read this. 




The Blind Assassin

Margaret Atwood should be made immortal so we can get more books like this and The Handmaid's Tale.



8. Adam Farmer (I Am the Cheese)

I Am the Cheese

This is totally old school now, and I bet a lot of the younger readers haven't read this. (Is that a wrong assumption?) I haven't seen it in standard school circulation...well ever. I think I read this on my own now that I think of it haha! It's been well over a decade since I read it, but as the summary states - if you liked The Giver or Feed, you should give this book a shot.



9. Eve (Conjured)

Conjured 

God I didn't even have a clue. And the prose in here is so beautiful (you know what a sucker I am for that). I definitely want to buy my own copy of this!



10. Antoinette Cosway/Bertha (Wide Sargasso Sea)



Wide Sargasso Sea (Penguin Twentieth Century Classics)

Ever wondered what Rochester's wife's story was? Well, here you go. A classic in its won right, it's a great reimagining of her story. Warning though, if you're a big Rochester fan, this is probably not the book for you.


And that's it for this week's TTT!  Any unreliable narrators I missed? I've discovered I love that in books when it's well done, so shoot me recommendations while you're leaving me a link to your TTT!

31 comments:

  1. I haven't read a lot of these, but love the idea for the post. Also 100% agree with Antoinette Cosway/Bertha being on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea for this post. All too often I use the same books as well! Mara Dyer always comes up on my list, but that's because the book is SO freaking good. I completely agree that she is a really unreliable narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ariel @ Must Love BooksApril 22, 2014 at 12:41 AM

    Ohhh I like this topic! I think my favorite unreliable narrators have to be in Agatha Christie books. A certain one comes to mind but I wouldn't want to give it away :)

    Here is my list for this week if you'd like to see what I picked :)

    Must Love Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. She was always the biggest mystery in Jane Eyre, so I was really glad there was a book out there that explained her story, because she didn't get much of one in the original novel haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought of you when I put her on this list actually haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, it has just occurred to me that I have never read an Agatha Christie novel! It's a travesty. I must remedy this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I love the topic you chose and I too love unreliable narrators it makes the books so good and mysterious. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, Fight Club is one of the best choices for this list. :) I totally agree with Mara Dyer too. That book really freaked me out (in the best of ways)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a whole new crazy level of suspense when you know beforehand that your narrator could be crazy or is packing a bunch of lies, or it makes for a GREAT twist when you realize everything you know might not be true. I suuuuuper love it haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked both the book and the movie, and I still debate with myself which ending I preferred. And I know right? That doll bit definitely put me on the edge haha (I'm such a wimp!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Books with unreliable narrators can be so fun!! I really love the Mara Dyer series... although by the end of the 2nd book I was starting to think she hallucinated everything, even Noah. And now that the book got pushed back, I'm getting antsy about it. Cool idea for a list, and cute title :)


    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's exactly where I was! I was like ....IS ANYTHING REAL?! I was so pissed off when I discovered they'd pushed back the release (again!) because I'd waited months to read the second book so I wouldn't go crazy waiting for the third. Best laid plans haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life of Pi and Unbecoming of Mara have been on my to-read list for a while.... must make time for them! And I've heard of I am the Cheese, but in light of the two other titles mentioned with it, I am intrigued! Loved the Thief but loved its sequel even more. Code Name Verity has a great unreliable narrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will say that while I loved certain aspects of the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer....I hate the romance. You have been warned! I JUST found out a couple months ago that The Thief has more than three books in the series! So it's my goal to reread the series sometime this year if I get the chance. And when I was looking for books to put on this list I kept coming across Code Name Verity - I knew I needed to read it beforehand, but having an unreliable narrator makes me really want to read it soon haha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post idea. Agree with the addition of Life of Pi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unreliable narrators are always so fascinating to me. The narrator in Fight Club is a definitely interesting for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE THIS LIST!! Unreliable narrators are my favorite!! I would add: Code Name Verity's "Queenie" and The False Prince's "Sage". Have you read The False Prince? I definitely got shades of The Thief reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh man. You will really like Code Name Verity.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the different ways you can interpret it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They really are! I think I'm going to make it a goal to read a bunch of the big ones I haven't read yet, like Gone Girl and Code Name Verity (although not in a row, because if The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is any indication, I'll start feeling like a crazy person haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Code Name Verity has the official Shannon stamp of approval and has been mentally moved up my TBR list haha! I haven't read The False Prince, but if it's got shades of The Thief, I'm totally in!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Unreliable narrators are a blast! Great pick for the topic! I haven't read many on your list but I really appreciate the two I have being here (Life of Pi and Fight Club). A really recent HUGE book that would fit in here well is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Crooked Letter Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin is also a good one that I've read semi-recently. The thing is you almost don't want to reveal that a book has an unreliable narrator because figuring that out is half the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, what a great topic. unreliable narrators piss me off (ha) because you can't believe them...which I guess makes them unreliable. do you like to know going in that there is a twist or would you rather be surprised?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Do you listen to audiobooks at all? I listened to Code Name Verity and it was soooooo good. I think the narrator really sells it for me. So if you like audiobooks, I recommend going this route. :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't had the best luck with audiobooks unfortunately. I get too impatient since I'm used to finishing a book in one sitting and with an audiobook that would take all day! If you say it's good though, I might give it another shot

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yeah I have to say with almost all of those books the impact was way heavier because I didn't know beforehand! Gone Girl is definitely on my TBR, but I haven't heard of Crooked Letter - I'll have to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You know, I generally don't like knowing beforehand. (Says the girl who almost always read the last few pages of a book before she finishes haha) It makes the impact even greater when you don't realize your narrator has been lying to you the whole time - it makes your brain go....whaaaaat?!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love you're idea for your list. I haven't read any of the books on this list. Good luck with your future TTT posts. I know I do the same thing so I might try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  29. We'll see if I make it or not haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Vida Winters!! Oh my goodness. What a fantastic character and a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Definitely one of my favourite novels, and I never could have guessed where it was going to take me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You've totally made my day :D

I love talking to you guys, so I always respond to comments. Be sure to check back!