Sunday, October 12, 2014

A Day in the Life (24)



Well, I finally got my car back (although it was pretty nice having a super fancy new car to drive for a few days!), didn't cost a thing and everything seems to be going well!  And as an added bonus, I've gotten to know some of the mechanics down there pretty well, which is always a nice thing to have in your back pocket.  Is that a saying? Does that make sense? I'm not sure why I said it but it feels right.  I'm a little loopy as I have like...a reverse cold?  No clue how to explain it.

I've finally perfected the art of reading while at work and audiobooks in the car, so I've been reading books left and right!  In books this week, I read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, which I super crazy loved and want to buy a copy so I can reread it (and also because the cover is gorgeous).  I'd also recommend it especially to the family members who read my blog because I think you guys would also really love this book.  On the other hand, I'd have to caution people about In the Woods by Tana French.  I think it's one of those books you either love or hate - so if you are ok with mysteries that aren't wrapped up with a nice bow and not necessarily liking your characters, by all means give this one a go!  It sounds like the sort of thing I would like actually...but it wasn't.  It made me angry.  (Have any of you guys read this? I want to rant. Or talk theories).

And that's it for this week!  Anything exciting in yours?


For some reason this has been stuck in my head for the past few days!



Bookish Links

Literary Love Connection: Friend-Zoned - Ever imagined how a date with Severus Snape and Eponine would go?  Now you don't have to: Katie set them up and it was hilarious.
Weasley Twin Syndrome: How Making Me Laugh = Making Me Love - This is definitely the case for me too.
Are All Princesses Really Waiting for Princes to Come? - A really, really fantastic article that looks at which fairy tales we make popular (And which ones don't fit our general expectations of fairy tales - but aren't as popular)
The Pop Quiz at the End of the Universe: Jacqueline Carey - Ahhh I love her so much! I really need to check out her other series.
Kernels of Nonsense, #9: Girl-on-Girl Hate - YES! I mean, it's not a secret how I feel about this, but Alicia explains it so well.
Who's Your First? (Book Boyfriend) - Mine is almost definitely either Gilbert Blythe or Fitzwilliam Darcy...it's so long ago I can't remember!
Advocating for and writing about girls is a radical act - Definitely worth a read, very thought provoking.
Parents, Teenagers, and the Books in Between - I felt very much the same way growing up.  Even as a teenager it bothered me how few books had parental relationships (let alone good ones)
Terrible Trivium - On Poisoned Apples, the “Great YA Debate,” and the Death of the Patriarchy - Another really great article that looks at some of the things that bothered me in the Death of the Patriarchy article



9 comments:

  1. Princess: Ahh! The fairytale debate continues! I think I fall somewhere done the middle on these. I majored in anthropology in college, so a lot of my training involves placing people in context and I feel this applies a lot to the whole princess/fairytale debate. I want someone to right articles about how the movies of the day reflect the viewpoint of the day. To me, it makes sense that Cinderalla is the stereotypical princess for the 1950s. And it bothers me when we force modern sensibility onto it and deride it, without stopping to consider when it was made. And as a sidenote: I actually had a hard time with Brave. Sure there is not love interest, blah blah blah, but why does everyone ignore that Merida was a total brat! Since when does disobeying your parents and getting yourself in a bad situation = being a "strong" girl? Argh!
    Girl on Girl Hate: Such a loaded topic! On one hand, it totally bothers me, but on the other hand I totally see it. I have no idea why our society has this competition between girls. But I've told my husband a few times that when girls dress up to go out, they aren't doing it to impress guys, they are doing it to impress other girls. And as an extension of this...it only gets worse when you have kids. Just look up "mommy wars" and you will see what I mean.
    Chopin: I don't think I have ever been able to move my fingers that fast. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with that - Cinderella is pretty much the epitome of the 1950s to me haha. I really need to watch Brave, because you are definitely not the only person I know who had problems with it. On the one hand, it bothers me how few things in any form of media we have where there are genuinely good parental/filial relationships out...but on the other hand I have a soft spot for hot headed red heads lol. I'm curious to see which side of me will win out on that one lol/

    It's so true! And man as soon as you become a mom it really gets cut throat! I recently discovered what a HUGE thing breastfeeding vs not breastfeeding is. Like for reals. It gets hardcore mean girl O.o

    She's so fast! I actually have a different recording by Kissin that's probably my favourite, but it was just too impressive not post this one instead since you can actually see her play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many good links on here that I want to explore but first:
    I read The Night Circus earlier this year and was kicking myself for waiting so long to pick it up. Will likely be one of my best ofs for the year - purely delightful.
    SPOILERS AHOY FOR In the Woods

    So I totally get your anger and frustration at the lack of resolution and I felt some of that myself for sure. My feeling is that to really enjoy this book you have to look at is more of a psycholgical profile/thriller than a mystery. It's the deconstruction of Rob that is really at the center of the book and not the mysteries. I was completely flabbergasted when he turned into a giant asshole as I had found him likeable and sympathetic throughout the rest of the book. But he drops a number of clues that all is actually not well with him. He flat out says that he lies. He's contemptuous of his female flatmate, who does seem flaky and shallow but that's his portrayal of her. He is easily taken in by Rosalind and has indicated that his type are waifish damsels in distress - weak women. In truth, by the end of the book I was left wondering if he has been so screwed because of what he saw happen to his friends or has he always been screwed up and he was somehow responsible for his friends injuries. To clear this up in the end would have been satisfying but it may also have made the analysis of Rob less interesting. I don't know... It's been several years since I read it and don't remember details but I do remember that even through my anger at the lack of resolution, I was super mesmerized and impressed by what French did with Rob. I have not read the second book which features Cassie yet but have been told on good authority it does not clear things up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just have to measure it height wise, and width wise to get the Perfect KitchenAs you plan where your kitchen countertops will be placed.

    Cookie kitchen remodeling jars or other ceramics that you can select
    according to your taste and preference is, you may want
    to consider custom cabinets. So, that's a butcher block.
    While it is important to sand the cabinet doors and frames is solid wood.

    This material is heavy, it must be modeled so that traffic
    can be regulated efficiently.

    my site - work from home orlando

    ReplyDelete
  5. kirstymariejonesstudioreadsOctober 20, 2014 at 1:25 PM

    My uncle (Ambers Dad) is a mechanic, if only I owned a car. Or could actually drive one. At least it didn't cost you after! Ha, a reverse cold? I bought The Night Circus last week,(and yup, the cover is gorgeous. Like, I want to hang it on my wall, gorgeous.)

    NOW I WANT TO READ IT. But, don't think I'd get passed not liking the characters,

    Oh man, I used to have The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage stuck in my head, and don't get me started on I Write Sins Not Tragedies.

    Weasley Twin Syndrome: How Making Me Laugh = Making Me Love YES! It's what I
    loved about Unspoken and Throne of Glass, hello CELAENA SARDOTHIEN.

    When I think about it though, most of my favourites are like that, and lucky for me, not all
    of them are dead. I mean, most of them are, but there's a survival rate at least. They kill them on purpose. >:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I think you are COMPLETELY justified in hating this book!:) It's marketed as a mystery and to not have any resolution in a mystery is...well...it breaks a sacred contract and should perhaps be a crime. I just decided in the end that I appreciated it for the psychoanalysis and character building. But note that it has been several years since I finished it and I have not yet picked up the second in the series - I will definitely need to be in the right mood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does! I wanted a mystery with an ending damn it! It's what I wanted! Which is why I wish I'd read it in a different mood, because what could have been an interesting read for me turned into a "WHY YOU STUPID BOOK WHY?!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. See, why can't my family have any useful skills like that?! I suppose public transit is good where you are then? I grew up in a crazy small town, although one of my friends still managed to make it until she was about 22 to get her license (which to this day boggles my mind). It took 30 minutes to get anywhere, so pretty much everyone of driving age had a car - even if that meant 4 cars, because there's literally no other way to get around.


    IT'S SO PRETTY. I want to hang it up on my wall too...without massacring the book in the process, or just printing out a picture. Must ponder upon this.


    I adore Panic - especially their later sound (Pretty. Odd) where it's got this totally poppy retro feel to it.


    Exactly! Those are literally the first two books that popped into my head upon reading it! But yeah, almost all of my favourites end up dead *grumble grumble*

    ReplyDelete
  9. kirstymariejonesstudioreadsOctober 22, 2014 at 8:05 PM

    Yeah it is, just so annoying. It's what invented person space issues.
    I haven't listened to them much since then (this is when I latched onto Our Lady Peace and Better Than Ezra)
    They should kill the ones we don't like, or you know, the boring ones. Nobody misses the boring ones. Unless they're useful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You've totally made my day :D

I love talking to you guys, so I always respond to comments. Be sure to check back!