Friday, February 14, 2014

Echo Prophecy (Echo Trilogy #1) - Lindsey Fairleigh

I received a copy of this book from the publishers.  This did not affect my opinion or the content of this review.

Echo Prophecy (Echo Trilogy, #1)


Summary

Goodreads:  Discover what's hidden--a powerful, mythic race, an ancient Egyptian prophecy, and a love strong enough to shatter the boundaries of time.

Alexandra Larson isn't human...but she doesn't know that. As far as Lex is concerned, she's simply an ambitious and independent archaeology grad student with a knack for deciphering ancient languages, especially the various forms of Egyptian. When she's recruited to work on her dream excavation, her translating skills uncover the secret entrance to an underground Egyptian temple concealed within Djeser-Djeseru--the famous mortuary temple of Queen Hatchepsut. Lex is beyond thrilled by her discovery...as is the enigmatic and alluring excavation director, Marcus Bahur.

As the relationship between Lex and Marcus heats up, a series of shocking revelations leave the young archaeologist reeling. Once Lex discovers the truth of her ancient Egyptian roots--the truth of her more-than-human nature--the people she trusts most make one final, terrifying revelation: Lex is the central figure of a four-thousand-year-old prophecy. She is the only thing standing between the power to alter the very fabric of time and an evil megalomaniac...who also happens to be her father. As events set in motion over four millennia ago lead Lex and Marcus from Seattle to the heart of Egypt, the fate of mankind depends on one thing: the strength of Lex's love.

***Contains adult content.***



Thoughts

So I've come to realization that apparently I went absolutely mad on Netflix and requested everything (and I mean EVERYTHING), and for some reason they were all archived in January, because I an going though a whole shlew of books that I ordinarily wouldn't have picked up.  Clearly I was possessed because I have no recollection of requesting them, nor do I have a clue what made me think I'd want to.  That being said, it's kind of great!  I'm having good luck reading outside of my comfort zone, so yay!


This is the sort of book I'd ordinarily read for fun and wouldn't bother reviewing.  It's actually a lot like something I'd enjoy reading on fictionpress.  I'm not saying this to dismiss it, as I have high regard for a lot of the really fantastic authors on fictionpress.  Basically it's the kind of book that I don't mind for a quick, fun read.  I'm not reading it to engage my mind, and I just don't feel like picking it apart.  It was fun!  Did it have a lot of issues with the feminist side of me?  Yeah sometimes.  Was I confused as to whether Lex was a graduate student or doctoral student?  Yeah, and ok I probably would have liked that clarified.  I also would like the whole father thing clarified because I was SUPER confused *spoilers* I totally thought her biological father ended up being the same guy who raised her, but then half way through the book it wasn't him? I must have really missed something along the way *end spoilers*  I just don't have high standards if I'm reading a book specifically for romance.  Once I figured out that's what the book was, I turned my brain off and went along for the ride.  Which of course is not helping me figure out how to review this, particularly because I forgot to jot down any notes about the book when I finished.  So it's time for Elizabeth's lazy list time because

- Clearly there was some research done on Egyptian mythology and ancient culture, although I can't guarantee how thorough it was (and in the end it doesn't really bother me too much one way or the other).  I could just tell it had been done.  I do wish there had been a bit more world building, but then the only series I have to compare this with is Kushiel's Dart, as if I do read a romance, it's almost always historical.   Honestly the two are utterly incomparable.  I mean Kushiel's Dart is one of the best written series I've ever read and is SO MUCH MORE than a simple romance book (in fact mostly it's not one, at least in my mind).  The world building that is done is pretty cool though.
- When I'm about to roll my eyes, she often acknowledges it is an eye rolling worthy bit of writing, even if that didn't stop her from including it in the first place.  But the fact that it is acknowledged assuages me, so I'm not too worried
- Lex can come off as rather Mary-Sueish at times, or rather that the things that come easily to her are sometimes a bit convenient.


Overall

Do you want a romance novel?  Do you want paranormal/mythological tones to that romance novel?  By all means check this out because it's a really fun read!  Do you want a book with an infallible plot and characters that extremely fleshed out?  This book probably isn't for you.  So really, this book is mostly about what you want in your romance novels, and that will largely affect how much you enjoy this one.  Happy reading (and Happy Valentine's Day since my bloglovin feed has hinted that perhaps that's today)

2 comments:

  1. kirstymariejonesstudioreadsFebruary 17, 2014 at 10:44 AM

    I love mythology, but Egyptian mythology bores the hell out of me for some reason. It's not as if I haven't tried, I mean, it's interesting but it makes me yawn. YES. See, if a book clearly thinks it's stupid as well, it'll make me like it. Same as if an MC is clearly a bitch, but she knows she's a bitch and says she's a bitch, then I'll like them. I'm so easy to win over. That sounds bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?! I've always wished I was more into it, but I'm a sucker for Greek and Celtic mythology, so Egyptian has always been pushed down the line.

    Bahaha, I know exactly what you mean! I'm definitely the same (particularly that last bit)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You've totally made my day :D

I love talking to you guys, so I always respond to comments. Be sure to check back!