Saturday, April 28, 2018

March Mini Reviews: In which Elizabeth read...practically nothing

I'm starting to post these regularly enough that I feel like should make a banner or something.  But in the meantime, how about we celebrate the statement "I'm starting to post these regularly"!  I mean when was the last time I could say that?   (To be fair, posting once a month for all of three months is hardly a ringing endorsement of my ability to post regularly haha)  This will also be a...rather shorter list than my previous months.  I only write the mini-reviews of books I haven't read before, and as March was a rather emotionally fraught month I mentioned that basically the only reading I've accomplished was rereading (and even that I've done little of. Apparently emotions get in the way of being able to focus on books. Who knew?) So the list is short this month, alas.


Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2)

Rating: 5 stars

I officially don't care about how I felt about her first series - I am officially a hardcore Shadowhunter fangirl. CASSIE CLARE OWNS MY SOUL.  I am there for all of her books.  Her first series was...well her first series.  The fact that every series and collection of short stories is better than her last is a sign of being a good writer (incidentally, how I feel about Maggie Stiefvater as well).  If you haven't read any of Cassandra Clare's books or even if you tried her first series and it wasn't for you, I highly recommend trying this series!






The Bone Doll's Twin (The Tamír Triad, #1)

Rating: 5 stars

This somehow manages to take a tired hero/savior trope and make it feel completely fresh. It's got really interesting world building and Flewelline manages to pack in so much of it with showing not telling or infodumping which can be really challenging to do given how in depth the world building gets here.  It also has a really cool character set up that I won't spoil, but color me intrigued and invested.  I'll definitely be trying to get my hands on book two!



The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently #2) by Douglas Adams

The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)

Rating: 3.5

 Sadly, I think this one suffered because I had to keep starting and stopping the book and I never tend to enjoy books as much as they deserve when that happens.  That being said, for some completely unknown reason I was expecting a little more continuity from the first book (again...no idea why I would expect that. It's not like Douglas Adams showed much in the way of continuity with Hitchhiker's Guide!).  I'm a little sad now...I've officially read all of Douglas Adams' novels.  Nothing will ever top Hitchhiker's for me, but I might try this series again and see if I have better luck if I read it in one sitting.

2 comments:

  1. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about this wonderful thing that happened to me last week on how i got my peripheral artery disease (PAD) cured, i have been reading so-many post of some people who were cured of peripheral artery disease (PAD), but i never believed them, I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try dr emu when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out, its a great success that he healed just as he promised, he told me that in three days time that i should go and check on my peripheral artery disease (PAD) status, I was floored that when i went to the hospital to check of my status that i was peripheral artery disease (PAD) negative, i never thought possible that dr emu can do miracles, i never really believed in magic but I played along with a little hope and faith and after everything but dr emu changed my life and made me a true believer you can contact him emutemple@gmail.com emutemple@yahoo.com or whatsapp Number: +2347012841542 he said that he is also specialize on the following diseases: HERPES, HIV, ALS, HPV, DIABETES, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, SICKLE CELL, VIRGINAL DRYNESS, And Bring Back Yours Ex back.
    website: https://emutemple.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! You've totally made my day :D

I love talking to you guys, so I always respond to comments. Be sure to check back!